Regarding traditions and festivities:
- In Gernika-Lumo. Cod fish day. An opportunity to see Basque traditional sports, and to taste local wines, vegetables, Basque handicrafts on sale in this historical town of Biscay. October, 1st.
- In Cambo-les-Bains (near to Biarritz). Party of Basque cake. Competition for the best amateur Basque cake, selling local produce and farmers on pole with greedy labeled products of the Basque Country town of craftsmen, concerts, songs, dances and bandas, meal under tent: there are for every taste. October 2nd.
- In Gernika-Lumo. Pyrenees cattle championship. Traditional cow market and auctions and stands with local cider, txakoli wine and cheeses. A special time to hear best poets in Basque language "bertsolaris". October 2nd & 3rd.
- In Salvatierra - Agurain. Cattle exhibition with championships during Our Lady of the Rosary festivals. October 4th.
- In Pamplona. Week of the pot tapa and wine. From October 7th to 16th try best tapas served on a cooking pot with local Navarra wines.
- In Basauri & Durango. San Fausto Festivals. Try the local alcoholic drink "zurrakapote" (wine, lemon, suggar and cinnamon) in these famous local festivals. From October 8th to 16th.
- In Biarritz. Festival of the Basque Traditions. Songs, dancings, Jai Alai, Basque pelota, traditional sports... In Sainte eugénie Church and Euskal Jaï Fronton. From October 21th to 22th.
- In San Sebastian. 10th Basque Country pintxo championship. Best chefs of the whole Basque Country (Bilbao, San Sebastian, Vitoria, Bayonne, St Jean-Pied-de-Port, St Jean-de-Luz, Pamplona, Estella...) will come here to try to win this important award. Auditorio Itsas Etxea from October 24th to 27th.
- In Espelette. Pepper festival. From October 29th to 30th.
- In Gernika-Lumo. Last Monday Market. 900 stands including all kind of local delicacies: vegetables, fruits, flowers, cheeses, wine, honey... With local poems in Basque by "bertsolaris" and live music in the streets. October 31st.
Regarding arts and exhibits:
- In Bilbao, Exhibit “Andy Warhol. Shadows". Guggenheim Bilbao Museum. Until October 2nd.
- In Biarritz, Latinamerican cinema & Culture Festival of Biarritz. From September 26th until October 2nd.
- In Saint-Jean-de-Luz. International Film Festival. From October 4th to 8th.
- In San Sebastian. Ópera Don Pascuale. Victoria Eugenia Teathre. October 6th.
- In Bilbao, "La Risa de Bilbao” Festival. Sala BBK, Alhóndiga Bilbao, Mercado de la Ribera, Campos Elíseos Theatre. From September 29th until October 9th.
- In Vitoria-Gasteiz. "World Press Photo" Exhibit. Centro Cultural Montehermoso Center. From October 14th to November 13th.
- In Vitoria-Gasteiz. 'W Momix Forever'. Teatro Principal Antzokia Theater. On October 28th & 29th.
- In San Sebastián. Fantasy and Terror Film week of San Sebastian. Teatro Victoria Eugenia Theater. From October 29th Until November 4th.
- In San Sebastian, cod fish Basque fishermen history exhibit, in the Navy Museum, until November, 29th
- In Vitoria-Gasteiz. 41st International Theater Festival. From October 6th until December 26th.
- In Bilbao, Exhibit “Francis Bacon. De Picasso a Velázquez". Guggenheim Bilbao Museum. Until January 8th, 2017.
- In Biarritz. Latin American Festival. Cinema & Culture. From September 26th till October 2th.
- In Bilbao. BIME Bizkaia International Music Experience. BEC. October 25th to 29th.
- In Biarritz. Pelota Vasca (Cesta punta). Euskal Jaï d'Aguiléra. October 6th, 13th and 20th.
- In Donostia - San Sebastián. 15km Running Race “La clásica de San Sebastian”. October 16th.
- In Donostia - San Sebastián. 5,5km Run "Katxalin" to rise funds for the fight against breast cancer. October 16th.
- En Biarritz. French Surf Championship. Grande Plage. Best French surfers will fight for the National Surf Award. October 22th to 30th.
- In Biarritz. Basque pelota with bare hands. Plaza Berri. From October 23th to 29th. Championnats du Monde "Espoirs" (moins de 22 ans) : Main nue Individuel et par équipes, Paleta, Pala Corta.
Feel free to contact for any questions to your local private tour guide
Enjoy the Basque Country!