Our selection of best art, sport and cultural events in the Basque Country during May, 2016
Best traditions & festivities:
- In Idiazabal, Gipuzkoa. Idiazabal Cheese Day. Contest and fair of Basque sheep cheeses in the city which gives the name to the Denomination of Origin of this Basque delicacy. On May 1st.
- In Arnos, French Basque Country. Moto Ride. On May 1st.
- In Ujue, Navarre. Religious Pilgrimage which dates back to 1043 A.D. On May 1st
- In Saint-Palais, French Basque Country. Innitiation of Basque dances. On May 5th, May 12th, May 19th and May 26th at 8.45pm
- In Gernika, Biscay. Anchovie day. Spring is the time for anchovies and being Gernika a big Basque fishermen port, this is one of the best moments to visit this village and taste anchovies with a local txakoli of Getaria. On May 6th.
- In Gernika, Bizkaia. Medieval Market. In addition to the Anchovie Day, a lot of events for all the family members. From May 6th to 8th.
- In Dicastillo, Navarre. Asparragus Day. See and taste best of Spanish asparragus produced in the South of Navarre.
- In Kuartango, Alava. Mushroom and cattle day. Cattle exhibit and local mushrooms in this lively fair. On May 8th.
- In Lezo. Cider day. To enjoy and taste this local product with long history in the area. On May 14th
- In Astigarraga, Gipuzkoa. Pea Fair. One of the products that are coming strongly with nice weather and that are very successful in the 3 Michelin starred restaurants. On May 14th and 15th.
- In Navarrenx, French Basque Country. Salmon Fish Day. On May 15th.
- In Bermeo, Biscay. Fish market in one of the biggest ports of the North of Spain. A good opportunity to try also fishes and preparations not so common in the Basque Country. On May 20th to 22nd.
- In Ordizia, Gipuzkoa. Medieval Market. This village close to San Sebastian and Vitoria-Gasteiz with a Wednesday market dating back more than 500 years ago, is perfect for a Medieval Market. Go and see it! On May 21st and 22nd.
- In Amurrio, Araba. Txakoli Wine Day. Best local white wines of Arabako Txakolina and an interesting food contest using the local white wine. May 22nd.
Regarding arts and exhibits:
- In Anglet, French Basque Country. Big Band Cote Basque. On May 1st at 11am.
- In Espelette, French Basque Country. Espeletan Kantuz Basque choral. On May 5th.
- In Cambo-les-Bains. Festival d'Otxote. Typical Basque choral music. On May 6th and May 7th at 9.15pm.
- In Saint-Pee-sur-Nivelle, French Basque Country. Herri Urrats. Basque Culture and Language promotional festival. On May 8th.
- In Saint-Pee-sur-Nivelle, French Basque Country. Basque songs. On May 13th at 8.30pm
- In Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, French Basque Country. Basque choral Itsasoa. On May 15th at 9pm.
- In San Sebastian, for 3rd time, Bruce Springsteen is playing in the most beautiful town of the Basque Country. This time he comes to present "The Ties than Bind - The River Collection". On May 17th at 5pm.
- In Louhossoa, French Basque Country. Traditional Basque Dances Exhibit. On May 21st at 8.30pm
- In Tolosa, World Puppet Festival From May 28th until June 5th.
- In Vitoria-Gasteiz, Selection of Concept Art in the Basque Country (1994 - 1999). Artium Museum. Until May 22nd.
- In Bilbao, Luis de Morales exhibition. One of the main artists of the Spanish Renaissance, with pieces from Prado Museum in Madrid and other Museums. Museo Bellas Artes de Bilbao Fine Arts Museum. Until May 16th.
- In Bilbao, Andy Warhol exhibit: "Shadows" (1978 - 1979). Guggenheim Bilbao Museum. Until October 2nd.
- In Bilbao, Louise Bourgeois exhibit. Guggenheim Bilbao. Until September 4th.
- In Vitoria-Gasteiz, Jazz Waves "Ondas de Jazz", Conservartorio Jesus Guridi. Until May 24th.
- In San Sebastian. Several activities inside the 2016 European Culture Capital Programm. See the official site:
- In Vitoria-Gasteiz. Martin Fiz Marathon. A popular run with options for kids, shorter versions and even a skate race. On May 15th.
- In Zegama. Alpine Marathon along the Aizkorri Mountains (qualified for Skyrunner World Series). On May 22nd.
- In Bilbao, Triathlon 1.9km swimming in Nervion River, 90km riding in a bike & 21km along the streets of Bilbao city. On May 28th.
Did you like this post? There are more to come. Subscribe to be updated:
Are you thinking to come to Bilbao or the Basque Country? Do you want to enjoy more your stay?
Picture credit: cc Jean Francoise