Things to do in Bilbao, San Sebastian, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Biarritz, Rioja or Pamplona. Our selection of best art, sport & cultural events in the Basque Country during August 2016.
Regarding traditions and festivities:
- In Baiona, Festivals of Bayonne. For some, it is the Basque French version of the Pamplona Festivals, with bullfighting, running of the bulls and much more. From July, 29th to August, 2nd.
- In Azpeitia, Biscay & Gipuzkoa. St Ignatius Loiola. In Azpeitia local music, food, drink and festivals. From July, 30th to August, 2nd.
- In Vitoria, La Blanca city Festivals. The most popular festival in the Basque Capital. Celedon will come down from San Miguel Church to symbolize the start of these festivals. From August, 4th to 9th.
- In San Sebastian , Semana Grande Festivals. Popular party with famous fireworks in Concha beach and lots of visitors. From August, 13th to 20th.
- In Bilbao, Semana Grande Festivals. One of the most popular parties in the Basque Country. From August, 20th to 29th.
- In San Sebastian, Itsasfest. The festival of the environment in Ondarreta beach. On August, 27th.
- In Uharte-Arakil. The Basque Shepherd festival, to honour and discover the way of life of our shepherds before. On August, 28th
- In Getaria, "Balenciaga Master of the Lace" exhibit til August, 18th.
- In Bilbao, Exhibit “Hiperrealist Sculpture". Until September 26th.
- In Bilbao, Exhibit “Louise Bourgeois. Structures of Existence: Cells". Guggenheim Bilbao Museum. Until September 4th.
- In Bilbao, Exhibit “Andy Warhol. Shadows". Guggenheim Bilbao Museum. Until October 2nd.
- In Bilbao, Exhibit “Windows on the City: The School of Paris, 1900 - 1945". Guggenheim Bilbao Museum. Until October 23rd.
- In Vitoria, "Titereando" International Puppet show. Until August 30th.
- In Bilbao. Mamma Mia (musical). Arriaga Theater. From August 15th to 31st.
- In Pamplona. Flamenco On Fire. Pamplona Flamenco Festival. Baluarte from August 26th to 28th.
- In Getxo, Hondarribia, San Sebastian, Pasaia, Portugalete, Zarautz, Zumaia & Orio. Rowing competition "Traineras". Liga San Miguel. Traditional Basque Sport until August 18th.
- In Biarritz, Jai Alai Basque traditional sport competition. Several dates on August.